Northern Water Inclusions

This information explains the Northern Water inclusion process. For  Municipal Subdistrict inclusions see the Municipal Subdistrict Inclusions page. 
What is a Northern Water petition for inclusion?
A property owner must complete and submit a petition requesting the Northern Water Board include his/her land within Northern Water boundaries. 
Is my land already included in Northern Water boundaries?
Contact Marilyn Conley at Northern Water with the legal description of your property including section, township and range. This information is usually available on your property tax notice or from the county assessor’s office. 

Marilyn Conley
Northern Water
220 Water Ave. 
Berthoud, CO 80513
800-369-7246 (RAIN)

You can visit Ms. Conley at Northern Water headquarters 7:30 a.m. to noon, and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday; no appointment is needed. 

Directions to Northern Water headquarters 

Why are properties included in Northern Water boundaries?
Lands must be included within Northern Water boundaries to be eligible to receive Colorado-Big Thompson Project water. 
How can I include my lands in Northern Water boundaries?
Once you determine your land is not within Northern Water boundaries, you must complete two forms:  

Contact Marilyn Conley if you need assistance with the forms. 
 Fees to File a PetitionThere are two required petition filing fees:          

  • $300 processing fee
  • Northern Water facilities fee

The $300 processing fee covers administrative costs. It is payable by cash or check when you return the completed paperwork. Please make your check payable to Northern Water.
 Facilities Fee Calculation MethodsYou may choose one of two methods to calculate the facilities fee. To learn more, please see the Petition for Inclusion of Lands in Northern Water.  

Petition for Inclusion
Page 1List the legal land owners (petitioners), the total number of acres and the complete legal description. Include the current assessed value of your property and any improvements. You can find this information on your property tax notice or obtain it from the county assessor’s office.

Page 2
Provide the signatures, titles (if a corporation or partnership) and addresses of all the land owners of record. All signatures on this page must occur in the presence of a notary public.

Appendix “A”
Sign and date Appendix A. This will subject the petitioner’s land to the same mill levies and assessments as other lands already included within Northern Water boundaries.

By signing the petition for inclusion, the petitioner waives his/her right to require an election before Northern Water imposes any mill levies or assessments.

NEPA  Questionnaire
The U.S. government owns the C-BT Project. The repayment contract between Northern Water and the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation requires the U.S. Secretary of the Interior to approve all inclusions into Northern Water boundaries. 
Anyone filing a petition for inclusion must complete a National Environmental Policy Act Questionnaire. Reclamation will review the questionnaire before approving an inclusion. Be sure to complete all nine items. Failing to do so could delay the inclusion process. 
 After You File the Petition for Inclusion Once you return the petition for inclusion and the NEPA questionnaire, and after you pay the processing and facilities fees, staff will present the petition to the Northern Water Board for consideration. The board meets the second Friday of each month. 
The Northern Water Board and the presiding Weld County District Court judge must approve all inclusions. The board has no legal obligation to approve a petition for inclusion. 
Once the board approves a petition, Reclamation also must grant approval. This is known as “secretarial assent” and can take up to six months. Northern Water staff will contact you once the court makes a decision.