Bill Emslie was appointed to the Northern Water and Municipal Subdistrict boards on Sept. 28, 2005. He has a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from the United States Naval Academy and a Master of Science degree in electrical engineering from Michigan State University. He also attended Colorado State University and the U.S. Navy Nuclear Power School. Emslie is a captain in the United States Navy (retired).
Emslie is a senior project engineer for construction of utility generation and transmission projects at Platte River Power Authority. Emslie manages PRPA's water resources.
Emslie has also done electronic controls testing for Horizon Technology, energy conservation engineering for Public Service Company of New Mexico and nuclear submarine service for the United States Navy’s nuclear submarine operations.
Emslie's professional civic organization experience includes:
- Platte River Power Authority’s representative to Windy Gap Participants’ Committee since 1992
- American Public Power Association, Demonstration of Energy Efficient Developments, board of directors
- Boy Scouts of America Longs Peak Council, board of trustees member and vice president of district operations
- Association of the United States Navy, immediate past vice president of professional development
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, member
- Rotary Club of Fort Collins, After Work past president; currently chair of International Service
- Fort Collins Area United Way, past president and campaign chair
- Poudre School District, past chair of mill levy increase to support budget
Emslie has been an Eagle Scout, a Trident Scholar at the United States Naval Academy, and a Leadership Fort Collins participant.
Emslie is actively involved in irrigation at his farm north of Fort Collins, where he cuts and bales hay. He is president of the Shamrock Irrigation Company and has managed water resources at the Platte River Power Authority since 1992.
Emslie enjoys hiking, fishing and farming. He and his wife Tracey live in Fort Collins and have one daughter, Alexis, and three sons: David, Andrew and Charles.