Subdistrict Inclusions

This information explains the Municipal Subdistrict inclusion process. For the Northern Water inclusion process see the Northern Water Inclusions page.

What is a Municipal Subdistrict petition for inclusion?
A property owner must complete and submit a petition requesting the Municipal Subdistrict Board include his/her land within Municipal Subdistrict boundaries.

Is my land already included in Municipal Subdistrict boundaries?
Contact Kris Thompson at Northern Water with the legal description of your property including section, township and range. 

Kris Thompson
Northern Water
220 Water Ave.
Berthoud, CO 80513

You can visit Ms. Thompson at Northern Water’s Berthoud headquarters 7:30 a.m. to noon, and between 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday; no appointment is needed.

Directions to Northern Water headquarters

Why are properties included in Municipal Subdistrict boundaries?
Lands must be included within Municipal Subdistrict boundaries to be eligible to receive Windy Gap Project water.

How can I include my lands in Municipal Subdistrict boundaries?
Once you determine your land is not within the Municipal Subdistrict boundaries, you need to complete the Petition for Inclusion of Lands in the Municipal Subdistrict.

However, before petitioning for inclusion into the Municipal Subdistrict your lands must be included within Northern Water boundaries. Contact Kris Thompson to determine if your lands are within Northern Water boundaries, or if you need assistance with the Municipal Subdistrict petition for inclusion. 
If your lands are not within Northern Water boundaries please see the Northern Water Inclusions page. 

Fee to File a Petition

The fee to file a petition for inclusion in the Municipal Subdistrict boundaries is $400. If you file for inclusion in both the Subdistrict and Northern Water boundaries at the same time, the Municipal Subdistrict inclusion fee is $300 and the Northern Water fee is $400. The fees are payable by cash or check when you submit your completed paperwork.

Petition for Inclusion
Page 1
List the legal land owners (petitioners), the total number of acres and the complete legal description by using the traditional metes and bounds description resulting from a legal survey of the lands or by the county assessor’s parcel number. Also include a copy of the assessor’s profile sheet and a copy of the last recorded deed which shows the ownership of the lands to be identical to the ownership as shown on the submitted petition.

Page 2
Provide the signatures, titles (if a corporation or partnership) and addresses of all the land owners of record. All signatures on this page must occur in the presence of a notary public.

Appendix “A”
Sign and date Appendix A. This will subject the petitioner’s land to the same mill levies and assessments as other lands already included within Municipal Subdistrict boundaries.

By signing the petition for inclusion, the petitioner waives his/her right to require an election before the Municipal Subdistrict imposes any mill levies or assessments.

After You File the Petition for Inclusion
Once you return the petition for inclusion, staff will present it to the Municipal Subdistrict Board for consideration. The Board meets the second Thursday of each month. 
The Municipal Subdistrict Board and the presiding Weld County District Court judge must approve all inclusions. The board has no legal obligation to approve a petition for inclusion. Once the Board and the Weld County District Court have made a decision, staff will contact you. 

About the Municipal Subdistrict
The Municipal Subdistrict is a separate and independent conservancy district formed in July 1970 to plan, finance, build and operate the Windy Gap Project.