In 2018, Northern Water launched its Collaborative Water-Efficient Landscape Grant Program to promote water-efficient, Colorado climate-friendly landscapes and to broaden its education and outreach efforts. The program helps fund new or redeveloped landscapes
based on the principles and best practices displayed at the Northern Water Conservation Gardens. Northern Water also provides signs and other materials so the project can serve as a water-education site for the public.
2019-20 Grant Program Timeline
The next cycle of Collaborative Water-Efficient Landscape Grants is underway. Here’s an outline of key dates:
- Consultations for Applicants: July 1-Sept. 30, 2019
- Applications Accepted: Oct. 1-Nov 15, 2019
- Applicants Notified: Jan. 15, 2020
- Contracts Signed/Projects Start: March 15, 2020
- Project Completion Deadline: Aug. 31, 2020
The maximum amount that will be awarded per project is $15,000. A 50 percent match is required, which can be met with cash and/or in-kind labor contributions. A limited number of grants will be awarded.
- The program is open to new or redeveloping landscapes at public facilities or open spaces, businesses, schools, multi-family complexes and HOA-managed landscapes.
- Projects must be within Northern Water’s boundaries.
- Landscapes must be at least 1,000 square feet (although smaller projects may be considered if they offer unique public education opportunities)
- Landscapes must be designed to use substantially less water than traditional landscapes and must include at least 50 percent plant coverage when the plants are mature.
- Potential applicants are required to take part in a consultation with Northern Water prior to submitting an application. Applicants will be requested to pursue a Slow the Flow Irrigation Audit as part of the consultation and grant application, where appropriate. To schedule a pre-application consultation, contact Chad Kuhnel at 800-369-7246.
Consultations are landscape evaluation visits from Northern Water staff that are offered free of charge. During these consultations issues of concern will be addressed, including water usage, landscape management and design, irrigation system performance, landscape plans and expectations, and ideas. Consultations may include a number of items, including plant selection, turf maintenance, soil management and more. An intake form must be completed to provide information about the project prior to the visit. To schedule a consultation, please contact Lyndsey Lucia or Chad Kuhnel at 800-369-7246.
Landscape Renovation Resources
Over time, landscape designs, functions and features may no longer meet the needs of the community and owners, or they may decline to a point where they need reinvestment, reimagination and renovation. There are a number of consultation resources that can provide expert advice when it comes to landscape renovations. This guide gives you resources to help with landscape design, planning, construction and management.
Thanks to a new partnership, more residents living in Northern Water's boundaries will have access to Resource Central's Slow the Flow landscape irrigation audits. These 90-minute audits – designed to help identify water waste and offer direction for optimal water use – are currently offered by some water providers in Northern Colorado as a free tool to their customers.
Northern Water's Water Efficiency Department spearheaded efforts in working with Resource Central to make this program available to all water users living in Northern Water's boundaries who don't already have access to this program through their local water provider. There are a limited number of free landscape consultations for both residential and commercial properties that can assist with specific landscaping needs.