Pinewood Reservoir, located 3 miles west of Flatiron Power Plant, is a key component of the Colorado-Big Thompson Project power system. It is the afterbay to the Pole Hill Power Plant and the forebay for the Flatiron Power Plant. The reservoir helps regulate and manage water for peak power demands.
C-BT Project water flows from Lake Estes through the Olympus Siphon and Tunnel and Pole Hill Tunnel and Canal into the Pole Hill Power Plant. From there, water flows through the Rattlesnake Tunnel into Pinewood Reservoir.
Construction of the reservoir began in 1951 and was completed in 1952 and cost $1.2 million. Originally known as Rattlesnake Reservoir because of its location in Rattlesnake Park, the reservoir’s name was officially changed to Pinewood in 1966.
Pinewood Reservoir has a capacity of 2,181 acre-feet, 97 surface acres, 3 miles of shoreline and a maximum depth of 24 feet.